Sunday, June 12, 2011

Independence Day - How The Patriotic Me Spent It The Not-So-Patriotic Way

My Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens is currently with my youngest sister who had to endure from me a 15-minute crash course Friday night on how to properly handle and use it (basically, how to return it to me in one piece!).

Thus, I had to scrap my original plan of going to the Aguinaldo Shrine in Kawit, Cavite. To me, it would be a waste going there without taking any real good pictures. Without my Nikon, it's like losing an important component of my sightseeing sight (redundancy intended!), and no travel would be complete unless I have it slung across my neck.



A, just as well. We received a request - actually - lambing, if you will - from our Mamay (who prefers to remain in our quaint house in the province). She has to regularly monitor her blood pressure and requested thus that we procure for her a digital blood pressure monitor.

We ended up buying for her an Omron SEM-1 Automated Blood Pressure Monitor. It is much like the  Omron HEM-712CLC Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with Large Cuff but just a little bit pricier.

Omron HEM-712CLC Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor with Large Cuff 


  
I spent the morning doing my laundry and giving Mamay several phone calls (thanks to Globe's Super Unli 25 promo!) while I let the fabric softener do its job.


I was instructed to send the package via the provincial bus that goes all the way to our town. I was advised that a bus usually arrives at 4 in the morning. Thus, with the 14-hour travel time across the 643 kilometers from Manila to Bulusan in Sorsogon, I calculated the departure time to be at around 2 in the afternoon from the integrated bus terminal in Cubao.

Around 1 in the afternoon, I was already at the vicinity of - apparently - what now used to be the Araneta Center Bus Station.

A blue plastic sack cloth cordons off the original site of the Araneta Center Bus Station

By the way, all pictures for today were taken using my camera phone. Arrrggghhhh...! 'Miss my Nikon!

advisory to passengers

It is thoughtful of the terminal's management to put up the advisory above for the benefit of affected passengers. Roaming Araneta Center security personnel are also on hand to provide information and give directions.


Apparently, Araneta Center Bus Station has transferred to ACS building - practically just a stone's throw from its previous location. It could still be accessed through the same street, but its main entrance is now along Times Avenue in front of Shopwise.


Decided to have late lunch first at KFC, just across the street from the old site.

KFC's Pasta Bowl: Kung Pao Chicken


'Love this: cellphone charging station within KFC!

Proceeded afterwards to the new terminal.

rear entrance to the new Araneta Center Bus Station
stairs down to the waiting/ticketing area


air-conditioned waiting/ticketing area

reminds me of former Pres. Estrada's "Huwag ninyo akong subukan!"

reminders!

along Times Avenue - to the left from the main entrance

along Times Avenue - to the right from the main entrance


the new Araneta Center Bus Station as viewed from Shopwise-Cubao

Had a chat with one of the security personnel who confirmed with me that the transfer was made just last Sunday, June 5, 2011.


Per my initial observation, advantages of the transfer are:
1. Cleaner rest rooms
2. Air conditioned waiting area
3. Organized ticketing area (at the moment: 16 booths plus 8 desks - each representing a bus company)
4. Strategically-located souvenir and pasalubong shops
5. Organized loading area (numbered from 1-23) - at point of ticket purchase, passenger will know which loading area is assigned for his/her particular trip



The glaring disadvantage is:
1. Lack of parking space for buses on stand-by. Perhaps the management is already doing something about this. A vast parking lot nearby would solve the problem.



What I am unsure of is:
1. The arrival area - Do the arriving buses take up the same spot as when they departed? This could pose a problem particularly during peak seasons when bus companies add more trips to their regular ones.



Recommendation:
1. Relocating the food booths - they are currently directly next to the restrooms, although the latter are admittedly well-maintained


Back to the task at hand, I learned that the homeward-bound bus, Elavil - leaves at 4 in the afternoon. This leaves me with less than 3 hours to kill.

Crossed the street to the Alimall / SM side. Was actually thinking of watching a movie but decided to have my hair cut instead.

just a simple barber's cut - will do Korean next time, ha!

Had a nice, relaxing massage as well!

Went for a stroll in Alimall - then back to the bus station.

Before long, it's 3:30 P.M. and loading begins for the bus I'm after.

Sorsogon-Gubat-Barcelona-Bulusan trip


Have a safe trip everyone! This bus would still be in transit as I publish this post!

As soon as the driver came up to his seat, I handed him the package for Mamay and stayed just for a bit more, happy to see familiar faces of townmates, hear greetings in my very vernacular.


Eventually I had to get back to LRT Line-2. Passed by Araneta Coliseum and got right inside Gateway Mall where a new dining place, The Oasis lies near the entrance.

Koi pond at The Oasis


Refreshing waterworks in the warm summer heat! - still at The Oasis


Back to the tracks! LRT Line 2! Apparently there is free ride from 5-7 P.M. today - however, since it was just 4:30 P.M., we still had to pay. Ha!


Recto-bound

'Been a long day. I actually do not know how to end this post.  I'm dog-tired now, even hours after I got home.  Don't know why, but perhaps it's my body's way of reminding me that it's my rest day after all. Hahaha...!


As to patriotism and Independence Day - a, well. I know our heroes would understand.


I can have as many Independence Days in my lifetime - but I can only have one Mamay.



And right now, that's all that counts.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...